How To Update Your Computer
As flaws are found in your computer's
operating system, they are patched through
system updates. All operating systems require
updates to repair security flaws that are
found after the software was originally released.
Follow the instructions below to manually
check for updates. You need to be connected
to the Internet. Windows update will take
a few moments to analyze your system. You
will then be prompted with a listing of Service
Packs or Hotfixes available for your system.
- From the Start menu,
choose Windows Update.
If you do not have the Windows Update item in your Start menu, you can get to it using Internet Explorer and going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ (Note,
only Internet Explorer will work.)
- Carefully follow the instructions on
the Windows Update Website
to install all critical updates.
What version of Windows am I using?
- Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
- Look in the General tab of System Properties.
- The version of Windows will be listed.
Automatic Windows Update
Automatic Macintosh Update
- From the Apple menu,
choose System Preferences.
(Tip: If you have Mac OS X 10.3
or later, you can use the Software
Update shortcut from the Apple menu
and skip to Step 5.)
- From the System panel ,
choose Software Update.
- Check the box labeled Check for
updates Weekly. Your computer
will check for updates weekly and notify
you when an update is available.
- Click the Check Now button.
(Or Update Now in earlier
versions of Mac OS X).
- In the Software Update window,
select the items you want to install, then
We recommend installing the Security
Updates when they are made
- Enter in your Administrator account
name and password.
- After the update is complete, restart
your computer if required. You will be
prompted if it is required.
- Repeat these steps to see if more updates
are available. Some updates are prerequisites
for others. You may need to repeat these
steps several times until no more updates are available.
Automatic Update Notification
After you have set up automatic updates, your computer will check for new updates weekly.
- When there are new updates available, the Software Update icon will bounce in your dock.
- Click on the Software Update icon in your dock.
- Check the updates you want to apply and click the Install button.
- The updates will be downloaded for you. You will be prompted to restart if necessary.