How To Update Your Computer
As flaws are found in your computer's operating system and other software, they are patched through software updates. All operating systems and software require updates to repair security flaws that are found after the software was originally released.
3rd Party Software
Regardless of operating system, web browsers and email clients and their related plugins are often the initial target of attack and entrypoint to compromise. Often each piece of software (including Firefox, Chrome, Java, Flash, Acrobat) has a different way to update it, however below are some general purpose tools to help.
- Qualys Browser Check
- Mozilla Plugin Check
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector
- AppFresh for Mac
- FileHippo App Manager
Microsoft Windows Operating System
Manual Windows Update
Follow the instructions below to manually check for updates. You need to be connected to the Internet. Windows update will take a few moments to analyze your system. You will then be prompted with a listing of Service Packs or Hotfixes available for your system.
- From the Start menu, choose Windows Update.
If you do not have the Windows Update item in your Start menu, you can get to it using Internet Explorer and going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ (Note, only Internet Explorer will work.)
- Carefully follow the instructions on the Windows Update Website to install all critical updates.
Apple Mac Operating System
Manual Mac Update
- From the Apple menu, choose App Store.
- Click on Updates at the top of the App Store screen.
- Install all security updates that it says are available.
- After the update is complete, restart your computer if required. You will be prompted if it is required.
- Repeat these steps to see if more updates are available. Some updates are prerequisites for others. You may need to repeat these steps several times until no more updates are available.